Most of us go through our days unaware of the suddenness in which a car accident can occur. But South Carolina car accidents occur with great frequency. In 2014, the South Carolina Department of Public Safety recorded over 119,000 collisions, or one traffic collision every 4.4 minutes. Source – South Carolina Traffic Collision Fact Book 2014. Some of these were car accidents that resulted in:
- Damage to property, such as cars that were damaged or totalled
- Minor injuries to occupants, such as cuts, scrapes, and bruises
- Serious or catastrophic injuries, like spine and neck injuries and traumatic brain injuries
A car accident can quickly turn your and your family’s lives upside down. While you struggle to recover from the physical and emotional pain of a car accident, you may be faced with expensive bills and a reduced income caused by an inability to work.
Let the Columbia car accident lawyers of The Solomon Law Group help you recover monetary damages from the person that caused the car accident. These damages can help you pay for your bills and expenses, leaving you free to focus on your recovery.
Causes of South Carolina Car Accidents
While a car accident can happen at any time even under ideal driving conditions, there are certain factors and circumstances that contribute to the majority of South Carolina car accidents. These include:
- Distracted driving: is any activity that could divert a driver’s attention away from the primary task of driving. These types of distractions include the use of a cell phone.
- Impaired driving: Drivers who consume alcohol, drugs, or other intoxicating substances experience a reduction in their ability to react to traffic conditions and an impairment of their judgment
- Disobeying traffic rules and control devices: Drivers who are in a hurry or who are not paying attention can drive their vehicles too fast or carelessly for the prevailing road conditions or can ignore control devices telling them to stop or yield.. This can cause a collision with other drivers who are obeying the law and driving responsibly.
Determining how a car accident occurred is important to assigning fault for your car accident. Car accidents caused by the careless actions of another can result in you being awarded financial compensation for your injuries and expenses.
How Do I Obtain Compensation After a Car Crash?
Bringing a car accident claim, and if necessary, a lawsuit in South Carolina can result in you being awarded monetary damages. You obtain financial compensation when you either settle your case with the at-fault party for a specific sum of money or when you prove the following to a judge or jury:
- The defendant owed you or your loved one a “duty of care” requiring him or her to operate his or her vehicle in a lawful, reasonable, safe and careful manner
- The defendant breached this duty of care by instead operating his or her vehicle in a careless or negligent manner
- The defendant’s careless actions caused you or your loved one to suffer an injury or your loved one’s wrongful death.
When you have sustained injuries or losses that should be compensated through a monetary payment, The Solomon Law Group is here to help you and your family following a South Carolina car crash. Contact our team of experienced Columbia car accident attorneys right away at (877-323-3120 – toll-free or 803-391-3120 – in the Columbia area) for assistance after a car accident.