According to the World Health Organization (WHO), more than 2,000 children die daily from unintentional or accidental injuries.* The report finds the top five causes of injury deaths to children are:
- Road crashes kill 260,000 children a year and injure about 10 million. They are the leading cause of death among 10-19 year olds and a leading cause of child disability.
- Drowning kills more than 175,000 children a year. Every year, up to 3 million children survive a drowning incident. Due to brain damage in some survivors, non-fatal drowning has the highest average lifetime health and economic impact of any injury type.
- Fire-related burns kill nearly 96,000 children a year and the death rate is 11 times higher in low and middle-income countries than in high-income countries.
- Falls cause nearly 47,000 child deaths every year, but hundreds of thousands more sustain less serious injuries from a fall that have life-long repercussions.
- Poisoning causes more than 45,000 child deaths each year from accidental poisoning.
*Source: World Health Organization
When deaths or injuries resulting from any of these types of accidents occur, the parent or a court-appointed guardian may have an obligation to bring a claim on behalf of the minor child. If the claim is successful, the monies paid for the injury are for the benefit of the child (after paying all of the medical expenses, costs of action, legal fees, etc.). If the minor child is fatally injured, the child’s heirs and beneficiaries (in the case of a minor, this is usually the parents) have the right to be compensated for the loss of their child.
The ability to properly investigate and handle claims for incidents involving children requires an experienced personal injury and wrongful death law firm that has attorneys with a proven track record of successful claims. The Solomon Law Group is such a firm.
If your minor child has been injured or died in an accident caused by someone else’s negligence, call the Solomon Law Group at 1-877-323-3120 for a free consultation . You can also contact us by completing the form below: