People can get hurt or possibly lose their lives when others act negligently. When this happens, you need a dependable lawyer to help you recover. A Columbia catastrophic injury lawyer from the Solomon Law Group will work with you and get you the compensation you need so you can start to move on from this traumatic experience. We understand the uncertainty of this time and are always ready to discuss your case and your best course of action.
What is a Serious Injury?
A serious injury could possibly affect you for the rest of your life. It could prevent you from doing your job and could make you have to change your lifestyle. The injury will require professional medical attention and could cause hospitalization. The official definition, by law, is as follows:
A personal injury which results in death; dismemberment; significant disfigurement; a fracture; loss of a fetus; permanent loss of use of a body organ, member, function or system; permanent consequential limitation of use of a body organ or member; significant limitation of use of a body function or system; or a medically determined injury or impairment of a non-permanent nature which prevents the injured person from performing substantially all of the material acts which constitute such person’s usual and customary daily activities for not less than ninety days during the one hundred eighty days immediately following the occurrence of the injury or impairment.”
Some serious injuries include:
- Traumatic Brain Injury. A major head injury can cause confusion, severe headaches, bring on mental illnesses like depression and anxiety, and give the person mood swings. Anyone who has been in an accident or a situation where they hit their head needs to see a doctor as soon as possible. Some symptoms can be delayed so it’s important to go even if you think nothing is wrong.
- Loss of Limbs. Losing a limb or the use of an organ can be devastating and force the person to make a difficult adjustment to their life. They may no longer be able to do their job and could develop depression from the loss.
- Burns. Severe burns can cause scarring, nerve damage, and permanent disfigurement.
- Broken Bones. Injuries to a person’s neck and spinal cord could possibly cause permanent damage or require a long recovery time. Waiting for a broken bone to heal can prevent someone from working or doing their everyday tasks.
In some cases, a serious injury can be fatal. When severe negligence leads to an untimely death of a loved one, you can file a wrongful death suit. While we know that this won’t bring your loved one back, the settlement can provide some relief that your loved one got justice and you will be able to continue to provide for your family and handle the responsibilities.
What Causes a Serious Injury?
People can act negligently at any moment in your personal and professional life.
- Motor Vehicle Accidents. People can drive cars or trucks negligently and cause injuries and damages to other drivers on the road.
- Work Injury. Some offices or businesses might not have the safest policies. This may result in a workplace injury.
- Premises Liability. Property owners can fail to keep their buildings and land safe for people. This can result in slips and falls, injuries from falling debris, and more.
You deserve to have experienced legal help after suffering from a catastrophic injury. The Solomon Law Group can help you hold the negligent person responsible and start your path to recovery.
Your Car Insurance Could Go up If You Text and Drive