Written by: Reginald C. Hair
The importance of sleep has been drilled into our minds since we were all kids. We have all been told that our body needs to be well-rested to function at its capacity. Getting 7-9 hours of sleep each night is recommended. Without an adequate amount of sleep, your cognition, attention, and decision-making skills can be impaired.
Sleep deprivation slows your reactions to stimuli, decreases accuracy of responses, and leads to long lapses in attention. According to the National Sleep Foundation and AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety, a driver who has slept for less than five hours in a 24-hour period has the same likelihood of getting into a collision as someone that has been driving drunk. Unfortunately, sixty percent of Americans have operated a motor vehicle while feeling drowsy, and around one-third of them have actually fallen asleep behind the wheel.
At the Solomon Law Group, we enjoy helping clients that have been victims of motor vehicle collisions. However, we also strive to offer advice to the public to reduce the number of collisions that occur. Below are some sleeping tips that we can all implement into our lives to make our roads safer:
- Go to sleep at the same time each night and get up at the same time each morning.
- Avoid naps after 3 p.m.
- Stay away from caffeine and alcohol late in the day.
- Avoid nicotine completely.
- Get regular exercise, but not within 2-3 hours of bedtime.
- Don’t eat a heavy meal late in the day, but a light snack before bedtime is OK.
- Make your bedroom comfortable, dark, quiet, and not too warm or cold.
- Follow a routine to help you relax before sleep (for example, reading or listening to music).
- Don’t lie in bed awake. If you can’t fall asleep after twenty minutes, do something calming until you feel sleepy, like reading or listening to soft music.
- See a doctor if you continue to have trouble sleeping.
Do You Need a Car Wreck Lawyer?
You should not have to deal with the insurance companies alone. Our attorneys handle claims every day, and we file lawsuits when warranted. At the Solomon Law Group, we will represent you and fight for you. We want you to be able to focus all of your attention on your recovery and well-being.
Reginald C. Hair is an associate attorney at the Solomon Law Group and has worked for the largest personal injury law firm in South Carolina. He has solely practiced personal injury law since 2016. Carl Solomon is a member of the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum® and has received the coveted AV Peer Review Rating™ from Martindale-Hubble®. He has also been recognized by Super Lawyers® and Best Lawyers in America®. He is the founder of the Solomon Law Group, LLC, which represents clients throughout South Carolina.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a car wreck, call the Solomon Law Group today at (803) 391-3120 or contact us online. You can speak with a lawyer about your options for free.