When you’re driving and paying attention to what you’re doing and the other cars around you, you probably expect everyone to do the same. Eyes on the road, signaling turns, and looking before changing lanes or merging are typical safe driving behaviors.
Unfortunately, this isn’t always the case. Other drivers could be distracted or forget to signal a turn. These moments can lead to dangerous car accidents that cause a lot of damage and injuries.
Your recovery and dealing with your car’s damages can get expensive, which causes emotional stress. If you’re unable to work because of your injury, the bills could be piling up and you might not be sure what to do next. In this situation, you may need a car accident lawyer.
The Solomon Law Group in Columbia, SC knows how traumatic it can be to experience a car accident. Our experienced and passionate lawyers are ready to look at your case and get you back on track. We’re here to help you get through this difficult time so you can get the compensation you need.
What Are the Top 5 Causes of Car Accidents in South Carolina?
The 2015 South Carolina Traffic Collision Fact Book states the five major causes that caused car accidents that year. Many of them dealt with drivers choosing reckless behaviors that ended up causing harm.
- Disregarded Too Fast Conditions. When people don’t take their surroundings into account, they can get into accidents. This can be not paying attention to the weather and still going the full speed limit when there’s ice on the road. Driving too fast for the road’s conditions caused 40,593 collisions.
- Failed to Yield. Not giving the correct cars right of way led to 25,896 collisions. It’s much safer to be a defensive driver and follow the rules of the road than to drive aggressively. Even if you’re not sure how fast the other car is going, it’s best to wait and let that car pass.
- Followed Too Closely. People lose their time to react to driving situations properly when they’re tailgating. This is another form of aggressive driving. If that driver needs to suddenly stop or turn, you need to have time to react to their actions. There should be about four seconds of time between you and the car in front of you. Following too closely led to 10,054 collisions.
- Improper Lane Change. When people don’t signal they’re going to change lanes, other cars can’t prepare for that switch. Then, if the driver doesn’t check their blind spots, they could easily run into another car or run someone off the road. Improper lane changes and usage led to 9,888 collisions.
- Distracted driving led to 8,912 collisions. One of the most common distractions is our cell phones. We use them constantly to send texts or use social media, and we’re used to answering the phone immediately when we hear it vibrate or see a notification light blinking. When people decide to pay attention to their phone and not the road, it can have dire consequences. Phones give you less control of the vehicle and your sight and focus are not on the road.
Do You Need a Columbia Car Accident Lawyer?
If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident in South Carolina, then call the Solomon Law Group today at 803-219-8870 and you’ll speak with a Columbia car accident lawyer about your options.
You shouldn’t have to stress about fixing the problems that a car accident caused when you weren’t at fault. Standing up for your rights will get you the help you need. With that peace of mind, you can focus on your recovery and well-being.