Columbia, SC Catastrophic Injury Lawyer
Catastrophic injuries are injuries that are so serious and severe that there is a good probability that there will be some sort of permanent damage, disability, or disfigurement that results from the injury. Even if the victim of a catastrophic injury makes a full recovery, such a recovery is typically the end result of months or years of intensive and ongoing medical treatment and thousands of dollars in medical bills and expenses.
If you’ve suffered from a catastrophic injury that was caused by negligence, you may need to the help of a Columbia catastrophic injury lawyer. Hiring a lawyer can help you and your family obtain financial compensation that can be used for recovery costs, continued therapy/healthcare costs, home care costs, loss of wage costs, and more.
The victim of a catastrophic injury needs experienced legal counsel to help them and their families recover full and fair compensation as quickly as possible to pay past and future expenses. Solomon Law Group is ready to stand by your side and fight for your rights. We’ll make sure the right people are held accountable for their actions and that you get the compensation you deserve.
Types of Catastrophic Injuries
Unfortunately, there are many kinds of catastrophic injuries that can impede how you live your life. They could result in chronic pain, issues with mobility, affect your cognition, and more. Common types of catastrophic injuries that can occur include:
- Traumatic Brain Injuries. A traumatic brain injury (TBI) can be classified according to both its severity (mild, moderate, or severe) and mechanism (blunt force, “whiplash,” or puncture wound). Traumatic brain injuries must receive prompt medical attention so that they do not become worse and so that damage can be minimized. A severe traumatic brain injury can result in lifetime disability and require hundreds of thousands of dollars in ongoing treatment costs
- Head and Neck Injuries. In an accident, someone could hit their head against an object and get a concussion. This is considered a mild TBI and may heal on its own but should be seen by a doctor. “Whiplash” is a common injury that occurs in car accidents as the head and neck experience rapid acceleration and deceleration. Recovery may require a neck brace.
- Eye Injuries. Sharp objects can penetrate the eye and cause blindness, or an accident can occur that causes multiple facial fractures near the eye area which results in damage and may require surgery.
- Amputations. Hands, feet, fingers and other body parts can easily become amputated during a car crash if they are smashed and severed by sharp metal and glass. While some amputated limbs can be reattached, others cannot. This can mean a victim must obtain prosthetic limbs or live without the particular body part.
- Spinal Cord Injuries. Significant pain can result as can permanent or temporary disability. You may need a significant period of rehabilitation before you are able to return to your ordinary activities.
- Organ Damage. In severe accidents, internal organs could be penetrated and cause internal bleeding or swelling. These require immediate medical attention.
- Burns. Burns are classified according to the depth of damage to the victim’s body. Burns are not uncommon in car accidents as fuel and/or dangerous chemicals ignite and burn the body of the victim. Severe burns can cause excruciating pain and require expensive and painful skin grafts to treat. Burns may result in lasting disfigurement.
We understand the trauma of what you’re going through and that a claim might be the last thing on your mind. But when you have a serious injury that was caused by someone else, you have the right to speak up for yourself.
What Causes Catastrophic Injuries?
Anytime someone acts negligently, they put those around them in danger. All it takes is for someone to not be attentive or to decide they’re above the rules one time for someone to sustain an injury that changes their life forever.
- Motor Vehicle Accidents. A reckless operator of a car, truck, motorcycle, or even boat could cause a high-speed accident that severely harms an innocent person. Negligence can take the form of distracted driving, aggressive driving, or disobeying traffic laws.
- Workplace Accidents. When places of business that aren’t kept safe or their employees aren’t informed of possible hazards, the workers are at risk of injury. While some may be minor, some have the potential to be catastrophic. For example, construction workers who work with heavy machinery and equipment could get a severe injury.
- Slip and Falls. When sidewalks or stairs are covered in ice or spills aren’t cleaned up, people are at risk of slipping and falling. These can result in head injuries if the person isn’t able to break the fall.
- Defective Products. A poorly made product or a product with incorrect instructions could potentially cause great harm to a user.
- Fires or Explosions. Fire hazards like exposed wires or those who work around dangerous chemicals could be victims of severe burns when someone is negligent.
No matter what event caused your injury, your attorney will do everything to find out what happened and who was at fault. Solomon Law Group is skilled at investigating cases and discovering the truth of the incident.
The Lasting Impacts of Catastrophic Injuries
When you suffer from a traumatic injury, you’re going to be facing physical, psychological, and financial issues. You’re going to need time and care to recover from your injury. This could mean multiple visits to a doctor, physical rehabilitation, and medication. Then, there’s the costs of care for the future as well. You may need certain equipment or devices in order to live safely with your injury. We’ll do everything we can to help you get the proper care you need for the future.
There’s another aspect of healing that you may have not considered before. It’s common for people to possibly have psychological issues after an accident, as well. People may experience issues with anxiety or depression because of the memories of the event or they could have difficulty adjusting to living with their injury. These issues typically require professional help, but this works differently than physical injuries because you don’t know exactly how much time it will take to heal.
Juggling these aspects of your recovery can incur many expenses. People will typically prioritize physical injuries over psychological injuries, but to fully heal you need to treat both. You shouldn’t have to pick and choose what to heal because of financial constraints. Your lawyer will do everything possible to get you the compensation you need so you have the means to recover without sacrificing aspects of your health.
When you have this peace of mind, you’ll be able to work on healing and adjusting to your new way of life without constant worry or stress about finances.
Contact Solomon Law Group for Help
We at Solomon Law Group are here to help you or your family member if you have suffered a catastrophic injury. We can help bring a lawsuit against the person responsible for your injuries and recover much-needed compensation to help with your expenses and losses. Contact our office to see how we can help you recover compensation.